Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Are you ready for the games?

Good evening!  (or, afternoon ... or morning, depending on when you're reading this)

I wanted to do a quick little post about my plans for the Ravellenic Games.  If you're not familiar with this celebration of the Olympics, it has become quite a sensation over on Ravelry this year!  This celebration used to be know as the Ravelympics (so, it's very hard to get used to saying the Ravellenic Games).  The idea behind the Ravellenic Games is that you pick a knitting, crocheting, weaving, or spinning challenge to take part in during the Olympics.  You pick your project, ready your supplies, and 'cast on' (or do whatever you do to start your project) during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.  Most participants' goals will be to complete a project during the games and 'cast off' or be done with their project before the end of the closing ceremonies.

The first time I participated was in 2008, and I also did it in 2010.  In 2008, my goal was to knit or crochet two purses.  Unfortunately, I only completed one.  In 2010, I knit an entire sweater and accomplished my goal of being done before the closing ceremonies! 

Well, this year I'm taking on two projects again.  Here are my plans for the Ravellenic Games:

For Team Sunflower Yarns, I will be knitting a Batik shawl in Sunflower Yarns Farmington in Yellow Brick Road.  Here is a picture of the yarn:

006 (3)

For Team Austentatious, I will be knitting a Margaret Dashwood Shawl in Fiberphile's 2-ply Squooshy Sock in Arterra.  Here is a picture of the yarn:

009

If we're friends on Ravelry or even if you've been following this blog for any amount of time, you know that I love shawls.  Last year, I took on the 11 Shawls in 2011 challenge and I got a teeny tiny burnt out on them.  Earlier this year, I took some time to start (and not finish, har har) a couple of sweaters.  It seems that the shawl bug has bitten me again!  I feel fairly certain that I'll be devoting my time to sweaters and hats for the rest of the year after this.

In addition to participating in the Ravellenic Games, I'm going to try and post a daily update each evening on my progress with the shawls.

Are you participating in the Ravellenic Games?  Do tell if you are!  I would love to hear about your thoughts and goals.

2 comments:

  1. both projects look good, but oh my! i'd never seen the marianne dashwood before! and needless to say... i'm totally smitten! how pretty! i want to make it nowwwww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hemmed and hawed over purchasing the 2012 Jane Austen Knits! It's worth it, I think!

      Delete

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg